24 February 2018
23 February 2018
* The FPB classifies all film material distributed in South Africa (except that shown on TV as broadcasters have their own regulatory body).
* Maintaining relevance to the values and norms of South African society through scientific research
* Balancing the right to freedom of expression with an obligation to protect children from exposure to potentially disturbing, harmful and inappropriate materials.
*Protecting children from sexual exploitation in media content in order to educate the broader South African society to make informed choices.
Best Documentary Film
Best Short Film
17 February 2018
16 February 2018
15 February 2018
Miriam Patsanza set up the video production company Talent Consortium in Zimbabwe in 1984. The company, which is also a school, moved in Johannesburg in the 1990s to take a more active part in "redefining the media" in South Africa: "Whilst there are specific gender related obstacles for the majority of us in Southern Africa, the problems endured by most women in TV and film are the same as those experienced by males who have also been excluded because of their race. The strategy for change, therefore, is to address the issues of media ownership and cultural representation as a joint force whilst at the same time insisting on bringing about respect and acknowledgment of other sexes, different languages, and the culture and style of indigenous peoples".(2)
IIFF 2018 – International Images Film Festival for Women (Harare) : Mukanya, Siza Mukwedini, Zimbabwe - 20 August 2018
Wild Track Newsletter 27 – March-April 2018 about African women in cinema in Zimbabwe - 14 May 2018
(2) Miriam Patsanza: From Zimbabwe to South Africa: starting all over again | Du Zimbabwe à l’Afrique du Sud: on recommence tout by/par Julia Landau. Ecrans d’Afrique/African Screen N° 8 - 1994. p. 30
13 February 2018
U.S.-based Ethiopian filmmaker-professor Lucy Gebre-Egziabher is a woman on a mission to empower as many women as possible to take leadership roles in cinema. While planning for the curriculum for her seminar, “From Script to Screen” as a Fulbright Scholar in Addis Ababa in the fall of 2016, she put into practice what she already understood about the importance of having gender parity in her classroom. She asked the admissions representative to actively encourage women to enroll. Women answered the call. Her empowerment strategy had proven successful: the U.S. Embassy in Addis Ababa invited her to lead a screenwriting workshop for Ethiopian women journalists and filmmakers in conjunction with its consciousness raising campaign on gender-based violence (GBV). The women responded again energetically: these women were on a mission! She developed the screenwriting workshop, entitled “Telling Herstory”, around the theme of gender-based violence. Each of the three scriptwriting finalists produced a five-minute film, funded by the U.S. Embassy, which was screened at the launching of its GBV campaign.
12 February 2018
01 February 2018
- ’76, Izu Ojukwu (Nigeria)
- A Season In France, Mahamat-Saleh Haroun (France, Chad)
- A Stray, Musa Sayed (USA/Somalia)
- Anger In The Wind, Amina Weira (Niger)
- Borders/Frontières, Apolline Traoré (Burkina Faso)
- Coz Ov Moni 1 & 2, King Luu (Ghana)
- Foreign Body, Raja Amari (Tunisia)
- Kalushi: The Story Of Solomon Mahlangu, Mandla Walter Dube (South Africa)
- Kemtiyu, Cheikh Anta, Ousmane William Mbaye (Senegal, France)
- Kindil El Bahr, Damien Ounouri (Algeria)
- Mawlana/The Preacher, Magdi Ahmed Ali (Egypt)
- Queen Of Katwe, Mira Nair (Uganda, USA)
- The African Who Wanted To Fly, Samantha Biffot (Gabon, China)
- The Wedding Ring, Rahmatou Keïta (Niger)
- Tickling Giants, Sara Taksler (USA, Egypt)
- Vaya, Akin Amotoso (South Africa)
- Wùlu, Daouda Coulibaly (Mali)
- Zaineb Hates The Snow, Kaouther Ben Hania (Tunisia, Canada)
- ► 2009 (31)
- ► 2010 (75)
- ► 2011 (145)
- ► 2012 (126)
- ► 2013 (134)
- ► 2014 (125)
- ► 2015 (169)
- ► 2016 (156)
- ► 2017 (188)
- Cascade Festival of African Films (Portland, Orego...
- Berlinale (Forum) 2018: Maki'la by/de Machérie Ekw...
- Lucy Gebre-Egziabher: A Woman on a Mission
- Zimbabwean Women in Cinema, Visual Media and Scree...
- Films Femmes Afrique Festival – Dakar (Films Women...
- Rama Thiaw’s Revolution: The Camera as a Weapon
- Mzansi Women’s Film Festival MWFF 2018 Call for fi...
- OPEN CALL for Women International Cinemakers and V...
- ▼ February 2018 (8)
- ► 2019 (166)
- ► 2020 (144)
- ► 2021 (184)