The purpose of the African Women in Cinema Blog is to provide a space to discuss diverse topics relating to African women in cinema--filmmakers, actors, producers, and all film professionals. The blog is a public forum of the Centre for the Study and Research of African Women in Cinema.

Le Blog sur les femmes africaines dans le cinéma est un espace pour l'échange d'informations concernant les réalisatrices, comédiennes, productrices, critiques et toutes professionnelles dans ce domaine. Ceci sert de forum public du Centre pour l'étude et la recherche des femmes africaines dans le cinémas.

ABOUT THE BLOGGER

My photo
Director/Directrice, Centre for the Study and Research of African Women in Cinema | Centre pour l'étude et la recherche des femmes africaines dans le cinéma

Translate

Search This Blog

09 June 2024

Ruth Hunduma, laureate of the Hypatia Golden Award for the documentary The Medallion at the 10th edition of the Alexandria Short Film Festival (ASFF) in Egypt

Ruth Hunduma, laureate of the Hypatia Golden Award for the documentary The Medallion at the 10th edition of the Alexandria Short Film Festival (ASFF) in Egypt

The documentary portrays the filmmaker's mother, a survivor of the Red Terror in Ethiopia which left hundreds of thousands of victims. A powerful testimony to a nightmare that remains unknown in the West.

Excerpted from an interview with Ruth Hunduma by Nicolas Bardot at lepolyester.com
The idea for the film came from a short story I wrote when I was at university called The Medallion, about the genocide of the Red Terror, from the point of view of my mother. In 2022, during the Tigray War, as I was preparing to travel to Ethiopia to spend time with my mother, my producer suggested that I re-visit the story of The Medallion. Within the context of the civil war at the time, it was the perfect context to open up a discourse not only about the war itself, but also about Western media bias during the Red Terror genocide, which unfortunately, like the Tigray war, attracted little or no attention. I started filming it myself with the cameras that I had on hand; and bit by bit, I started constructing the DNA of the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Relevant comments are welcome - Les discussions constructives sont les bienvenues

Blog Archive