The purpose of the African Women in Cinema Blog is to provide a space to discuss diverse topics relating to African women in cinema--filmmakers, actors, producers, and all film professionals. The blog is a public forum of the Centre for the Study and Research of African Women in Cinema.

Le Blog sur les femmes africaines dans le cinéma est un espace pour l'échange d'informations concernant les réalisatrices, comédiennes, productrices, critiques et toutes professionnelles dans ce domaine. Ceci sert de forum public du Centre pour l'étude et la recherche des femmes africaines dans le cinémas.

ABOUT THE BLOGGER

My photo
Director/Directrice, Centre for the Study and Research of African Women in Cinema | Centre pour l'étude et la recherche des femmes africaines dans le cinéma

Translate

Search This Blog

09 February 2013

FESPACO 2013 - Claude Haffner : Noire ici, blanche là-bas | Footprints of My Other


Claude Haffner and her grandmother | et sa grand-mère
Fespaco 2013 - Documentary | Documentaire

Noire ici, blanche là-bas | Footprints of My Other (2012)
Claude Haffner (DRC)

VERSION FRANÇAISE CI-DESSOUS

[English]
...I discovered the poverty in which my mother's family lived, and I wanted to talk about this heartbreaking reality in a different manner than that presented by the media, that is to say without the tendency to dwell on the sordid side of life, which I hate. I looked for a way to educate and at the same time not bore the viewer, but also that he or she may be able to identify with the story, whether the person is black, white or any other colour of the rainbow. I knew that to bring it to the screen, I had to enter into the story. But I did not at all imagine that I would talk about myself, my history, my bi-raciality

...The film helped me to define my identity and my place between Europe and Africa and to become aware of the richness that I possess to have come from a double culture or perhaps I should say, multiple.

...We lived in Alsace, and as a child I was not at all aware of what my mother was living "in exile" in Strasbourg. We lived in a nice neighbourhood; there were children of all races and all religions in my school, I did not ask any questions on this existential "in between-ness". I thought it was cool to be of mixed race, because my parents kept telling me it was a great opportunity to bring colour in the bouquet of the world. And this has been true until the day I went to Kasaï. Suddenly I was a foreigner there, a stranger in my own family, a foreigner of the culture, of the history. I was pleased with this experience, but as I stated in the film, I was very uncomfortable. To really understand, one must experience things for oneself. And with maturity, one observes the world differently, asking new questions. In other words, the experiences of my parents would remain abstract as long as I had not been confronted with Africa.

...Very early my father made me aware of cinema, as he organised film screenings at home for my friends and I in Kinshasa, when I was barely two years old. And then filmmaking professionals were part of the family. Ousmane Sembene was godfather to my brother for example. But when I was preparing for my school diploma and my father asked me what I wanted to study, I told him I wanted to go to film school and he categorically refused because he wanted me to do some "serious" studies. So I opted to study history. But the idea of making films did not leave me, and parallel to my history degree, I enrolled in my fathers film classes. When I submitted my first paper to my father, I was nervous, as he was very strict with me. I had no room for error. He telephoned me after reading it and told me that my paper was excellent and that he was very proud, acknowledging that I had mastered film culture. After graduation, he agreed to let me go to Paris to continue audiovisual studies at university.

...In order to journey still a bit further in the miracle....His fellow artists wanted to create an original work for his tombstone, and I found this epitaph. Because my father was an optimist humanist, I felt that this sentence reflected his thoughts, his philosophy. And I think that he gave me this gene. In any case, this is the manner in which I wanted to construct and conclude the film: Yes it is hard, yes it is severe, yes there is poverty, yes there is suffering in the world and among people, but nothing is definitive and impossible. Life is a journey that continues into death, which is not an inevitability in my view, but rather a continuum: a miracle, in the extraordinary sense of the word. Yes life is an extraordinary journey.


[Français]
...Je découvrais la pauvreté dans laquelle vivait ma famille maternelle, et je voulais parler de cette triste réalité d'une manière différente que celle utilisée par les médias, c'est-à-dire sans aucun misérabilisme, car c'est une chose dont j'ai horreur. J'ai cherché comment sensibiliser le spectateur de manière à ce qu'il ne s'ennuie pas, mais aussi qu'il puisse s'identifier à l'histoire, qu'il soit noir, blanc ou de n'importe quelle autre couleur de l'arc-en-ciel. Je savais que pour porter cette histoire à l'écran, je devais me mettre en scène. Mais loin de moi était l'idée de parler de moi, de mon histoire, de mon métissage...D'une certaine manière, le film m'a aidée à définir mon identité et ma place entre l'Europe et l'Afrique et fait prendre conscience de la richesse que je possédais d'être issue d'une culture double, ou devrais-je plutôt dire multiple.

...Pour moi nous vivions en Alsace, et enfant je n'avais absolument pas conscience de ce que vivait ma mère « en exil » à Strasbourg. On vivait dans un chouette quartier, il y avait des enfants de toutes races et de toutes religions dans mon école, je ne me posais pas de question existentielle sur cette « entre-deux ». Je trouvais cool d'être métis, car mes parents me répétaient que c'était une grande chance d'apporter de la couleur dans le bouquet du monde. Et cela est vrai jusqu'au jour où je suis allée au Kasaï. Tout à coup j'étais moi étrangère là-bas, étrangère dans ma propre famille, étrangère de la culture, de l'histoire. J'étais heureuse de cette expérience, mais très mal-à-l'aise comme je le dis dans le film. Il faut vivre les choses soi-même pour les comprendre vraiment. Et puis l'âge aidant, on observe le monde différemment, on se pose de nouvelles questions. En d'autres termes, les expériences de mes parents étaient abstraites tant que je n'avais pas été confronté à l'Afrique.

...Mon père m'a effectivement sensibilisée très tôt au cinéma, puisqu'il organisait des projections de film à la maison pour mes petits camarades et moi-même à Kinshasa, alors que j'avais à peine deux ans. Et puis les gens du cinéma faisaient partie de la famille. Sembène Ousmane était le parrain de mon frère par exemple. Mais lorsque je préparais mon bac et que mon père m'a demandé ce que je voulais faire comme études je lui ai annoncé que je souhaitais faire une école de cinéma, et il me l'a formellement interdit, car il voulait que je fasse des études « sérieuses ». J'ai donc opté pour la faculté d'Histoire.

...« Pour voyager encore un peu plus loin dans le miracle » :  ...Ses amis artistes voulaient créer une œuvre originale pour sa pierre tombale, et j'avais trouvé cette épitaphe. Car mon père était un humaniste optimiste, et je trouvais que cette phrase traduisait bien sa pensée, sa philosophie. Et je crois qu'il m'a transmis ce gène. C'est en tout cas de cette manière que je voulais construire et conclure le film. Oui c'est dur, oui c'est grave, oui il y a de la misère, oui il y a de la souffrance dans le monde et entre les hommes, mais rien n'est définitif et impossible. La vie est un voyage qui se poursuit dans la mort, qui n'est pas une fatalité à mes yeux, mais bel et bien une continuité : un miracle, au sens extraordinaire. Oui, la vie est un voyage extraordinaire.



Noire ici, blanche là-bas




Blog Archive