The purpose of the African Women in Cinema Blog is to provide a space to discuss diverse topics relating to African women in cinema--filmmakers, actors, producers, and all film professionals. The blog is a public forum of the Centre for the Study and Research of African Women in Cinema.

Le Blog sur les femmes africaines dans le cinéma est un espace pour l'échange d'informations concernant les réalisatrices, comédiennes, productrices, critiques et toutes professionnelles dans ce domaine. Ceci sert de forum public du Centre pour l'étude et la recherche des femmes africaines dans le cinémas.

ABOUT THE BLOGGER

My photo
Director/Directrice, Centre for the Study and Research of African Women in Cinema | Centre pour l'étude et la recherche des femmes africaines dans le cinéma

Translate

Search This Blog

28 April 2011

Anne-Elisabeth Ngo-Minka: Le prix du sang (The price of blood)

Vues d'Afrique 2011 Watch: Short Documentary Category
Anne-Elisabeth Ngo-Minka (Cameroon) Le Prix du sang (26 mn)

Anne-Elisabeth Ngo-Minka graduated from Université Gaston Berger of St. Louis in Senegal in 2010 with a diploma in documentary filmmaking. Le Prix du sang was her graduation film.

Synopsis of the film Le Prix du sang
The Prix du sang (2010) addresses the issue of female virginity, a subject which remains more or less taboo despite the evolution in our society. "What is the real importance of proof of virginity, what is the 
meaning of blood? And why?"

Some reflections by Anne-Elisabeth Ngo-Minka:
Because I didn't bleed during my first sexual relationship, my companion accused me at the time of having lied when I told him that I was a virgin... And when I was in Senegal, one of my friends told me she had the same experience. My film questions a concept, even an abstraction: virginity! How is it perceived? To represent it, I utilize symbols and voices... And because this issue is at the core of several religions, I examine the tenets of Islam and Catholicism, and tradition and science as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Relevant comments are welcome - Les discussions constructives sont les bienvenues

Blog Archive